Re: [Xen-devel] credit2 question

>>> Ah, right -- yes, if the other guys' credit is positive, "ntime" is
>>> guaranteed to be lower.  Since c2t() involves integer division, it would
>>> definiteyl be good to get rid of the extra call if we can.
>>>
>>> My general principle is to make the code clear and easily readable
>>> first, and then do optimization afterwards -- in this case I just never
>>> came back and did the optimization step.
>> Oh, I wasn't thinking of just the optimization. It seemed wrong to
>> me to do the subtraction there in the first place: "time" is being
>> calculated from a plain value, so why would "ntime" be calculated
>> from a delta?
>
> Ah, right -- so the idea here was to run until snext->credit was equal
> to svc->credit.  That's why the delta.

Which then means that under normal circumstances you would
always only run each vCPU for CSCHED_MIN_TIMER, which
seems quite odd. Wouldn't it be more fair to do e.g.

            if ( time > ntime )
                time = (time + ntime) / 2;

since otherwise at the expiry of the time the two vCPU-s have
equal credit, whereas you would generally expect a vCPU that
just finished running to have lower credit than the next one to
run?

But as you validly said earlier, avoiding the c2t() in cases where we
can tell up front that "time" would end up below CSCHED_MIN_TIMER
(particularly zero or negative) would be desirable. I'd prefer to
leave doing that to you though.

> The whole algorithm was supposed to be:
> 1. At a basic level, run until your credit is 0.
> 2. But if there's someone else waiting to run, run until your credit ~=
> their credit.
> 3. But never run shorter than MIN_TIMER  or longer than MAX_TIMER.
>
> #2 is one of the "experimental" / "research-y" ideas I was trying out.
> One of the goals was to reward vcpus that yielded by making sure that
> they would get better latency.

Which all makes sense.

Jan