Re: [Xen-devel] Correct DTB compatibility for xen /hypervisor node?

On Wed, 2013-01-30 at 16:49 +0000, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > Looks like we have both 4.2 and 4.3 in use. Which should it be?
> >
> > $ rgrep xen-4 arch/arm Documentation/
> > arch/arm/boot/dts/xenvm-4.2.dts:            compatible = "xen,xen-4.2",
> > "xen,xen";
> > Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/xen.txt:      compatible =
> > "xen,xen-4.3", "xen,xen";
> >
> > FWIW I've always used 4.2 in my own DTB files.
> >
> > Strictly speaking the API is the Xen 3.x API, but that doesn't seem
> > terribly relevant.
>
> I have always used 4.2 too.
> Even though the one in xen.txt is just an example it might be worth
> updating with xen-4.2 to avoid confusions.

Or maybe we should update to 4.3 everywhere.

> > I suppose arch_get_xen_caps ought to return something consistent?
>
> Right.
>
> From my point of view, it would be useful to return a string
> that expresses the current hypervisor version (xen-4.3 from the Xen 4.3
> release, xen-4.4 from the Xen 4.4 release and so on) rather than xen-3.0.
> I would do the same in the compatibility node of the DTS.

Remember that the capability string returned by the hypervisor is not
exposing the version of the hypervisor -- it is exposing the version of
the Hypervisor *ABI*, which is a subtly different thing.

I think we should follow the hypervisor version until we freeze the ABI,
at which point we hardcode whichever version we froze at?

Ian.