Re: [Xen-devel] NMI SERR interrupts in dom0

>>> On 08.02.13 at 15:51, GÃbor PÃK<pek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [+] At the same time, PCI SERR interrupts refer to hardware errors that
> is generated by my passthrough NIC directly, so I expect that these
> interrupts are physical (e.g., MSIs) so they should go directly either
> to the BSP or one of the APs. However, Interrupt remapping is in place
> which should check the origin of such interrupts and should remap the
> interrupts by using the BDF id of the device. Thus, the real interrupt
> is generated by the Interrupt Remapping hardware unit which is still a
> physical one. Am I right?

No, NMIs don't go through the remapping hardware, they get
delivered directly to the CPU. Which makes sense, because they
point out a problem in the system as a whole, regardless of
whether a device having caused them is assigned to a guest.

Note that because of the possibility of multiple devices raising
such an NMI, I think it is also not possible for Xen to actually know
which device(s) caused the NMI, and hence it has no way to
associate it with a particular guest, even if it wanted to.

Jan