Re: [Xen-devel] Moving xen*.hg to git

>> > If any committer needs help getting git to work please feel free to
>> > ask.  git has many advantages but its user interface has received very
>> > mixed reviews.  We appreciate that you might need handholding.  So if
>> > you get confused, or into trouble, do consult.
>>
>> So one thing I found very handy with hg was that there was a
>> single line history with easy to look at changeset numbers. Is there
>> any way to achieve the same with git? I'm asking particularly in the
>> context of backporting: In order to pick changes from unstable (now
>> master), so far I simply scanned the history, tracking (on a sheet of
>> paper) at which c/s I last left off.
>
> Something like git log --oneline?
>
> You can also git log --pretty=format:%...

The question is whether these, just like the web interface, sort
by commit time rather than commit order.

And ideally it would be doable both locally and from the web
interface, yet I don't see the web interface having any way to
control how it sorts its output.

> Where there are various available %foo described in the manpage.
>
> git doesn't really have a concept of the shorter sequential numbers
> which mercurial has. The closest I can think of is the sort of thing
> which git describe outputs.

Again, it depends how the number produced here gets calculated,
i.e. whether it remains stable over the lifetime of a tree regardless
of what commits get pulled (and merges get done).

Jan