Re: [Xen-devel] preparing for 4.2.2 and 4.1.5

>>> On 28.02.13 at 10:21, Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jan,

>>> --On 27 February 2013 16:12:57 +0000 Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>> I'd ask for the 'don't use O_DIRECT change'. I realise I owe the list
>>> a blktrace.
>>
>> To me, the title you mention means nothing. It being on the tools
>> side, it would be Ian anyway to take care of this, but can't you be
>> a bit more specific and indicate which changeset/commit you're
>> talking of? As well as reasoning why it would be needed (or at
>> least desirable) to have on either or both trees?
>
> See this message and the surrounding thread:
>   http://markmail.org/message/iy32akdzmbjo7uiz
>
> In essence any domU PV disk usage backended onto something that uses TCP
> (e.g. iSCSI, NFS) in dom0 has the potential to crash dom0. We can replicate
> this 100%. The root cause is a very-hard-to-fix skb refcount problem
> in the kernel, but the obvious fix is to disable O_DIRECT in qemu's
> xendisk driver. People seemed generally happy with this provided the
> barriers get through (which I need to demonstrate).

Oh, that would actually be Stefano, not Ian then.

And it doesn't look like you're asking for a backport - neither
upstream qemu nor either of our trees appears to have the
suggested change yet. If the change doesn't go into any of
these, there's no way for it to go into a stable release.

Jan