Re: [Xen-devel] time periods of no resource re-assignment

>>> On 28.02.13 at 17:06, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There is currently no mechanism for the PCI core to tell a driver that
> we're changing any device resources (IRQ, MMIO, I/O).  Since there's
> no way to tell a driver to refresh its idea of device resources, the
> core can not change anything after we call a driver's .probe()
> method.
>
> This could change in the future if we support dynamic resource
> reassignment, but I think that would require adding some sort of
> notification infrastructure so we could essentially suspend a driver,
> reassign device resources, and tell the driver "things might have
> changed" when we resume it.

Thanks Bjorn! That should allow us to get things working for now
the way I have coded them up already, and I assume eventual
changes in this area (as you outlined) would imply cooperation by
the driver (i.e. if a device is assigned to a guest, it ought to be
possible to deny the re-assignment attempt if there's no way to
let the guest know of the change).

Jan