Re: [Xen-devel] GPU passthrough issue when VM is configured with 4G memory

On 06/03/13 11:38, Hanweidong wrote:
> [...]

So the patch got checked in, but there still may be some more work if
you want to use it. :-)

The patch modifies xc_hvm_build_args structure to include a field called
"mmio_size". If this is set to zero, it will default to
HVM_BELOW_4G_MMIO_LENGTH; otherwise, it will be the size of the default
MMIO hole set during the build process. The guest BIOS may modify this
at boot time to make it bigger, but it doesn't make it smaller.

Since this was designed for xapi, however, which calls libxc directly,
we didn't add any options to xend / xl / libxl to set this option.

The easiest way to test it probably is just to hard-code
HVM_BELOW_4G_MMIO_LENGTH to a new value (from the description, setting
it to 1GiB should be sufficient).

Then if you want to use it in production, you probably want to either:
1. Try it with the latest version of XCP (which I think has an option
you can set)
2. Implement a config option for xl that allows you to set the MMIO hole
size.

#2 should be a relatively straightforward matter of "plumbing", and
would be a welcome contribution. :-)

If you do implement #2, it might be nice to have an option of
"mmio_hole_size=host", which will set the guest mmio hole to the same
size as the host. That's what we implemented for XenServer, to make sure
there would never be any collisions.

-George