Re: [Xen-devel] DomU: kernel BUG at arch/x86/xen/enlighten.c:425

>>> On 12.03.13 at 04:56, James Sinclair <james.sinclair@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(re-adding xen-devel to Cc)

> I've done further testing and I have confirmed that I can trigger the bug
> pretty reliably on several Xen versions:
>
>     * xen-3.4.4
>     * xen-4.1.4
>     * xen-4.1.5-pre
>
> Dom0 kernels range between 2.6.18 & 3.7.7-1. I've also tried quite a few DomU
> kernels and I can trigger it in everything I've tried between 2.6.39.1 and
> 3.7.10. In the end, I haven't managed to find a combination of Xen, Dom0 &
> DomU where I cannot trigger it.

Partly because you apparently never tried non-pvops DomU kernels.
But that's not the point here.

> As for the hypervisor log, I'm not seeing anything get logged at all. I
> suspect that I'm not capturing them correctly. Using Xen 4.1.4 I added the
> following to the command line:
>
>     loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all sync_console console_to_ring earlyprintk=xen
> debug loglevel=8

Now, this mixture of hypervisor and kernel options already
suggests that you don't look in the right place. Please put Xen
options on the Xen command line, and kernel ones on the kernel
line.

> I'm seeing extra logs from Xen during boot, but nothing when the bug is
> triggered in the DomU. I'm assuming any extra logging will show up on the
> console or in /var/log/xen/xend.log - is there somewhere else I should be
> looking? Or something I'm not setting correctly?

They show up on the serial console (if in use) or in the output of
"xl dmesg" (or "xm dmesg" if xend is in use). Without extra
precautions, they _won't_ show up anywhere under /var/log.

Jan