Re: [Xen-devel] Is: SKB_MAX_LEN bites again. Was: Re: bug disabling guest interface

On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 15:07 +0000, ANNIE LI wrote:

> On 2013-3-12 20:18, Wei Liu wrote:

> >> No, because that would require changing the frontend, while this fix
> >> needs to be in the backend if older guests are to continue working.
> >>
> >> You can't use skb_linearize in netback as is because you would first
> >> need to be able to build the skb with nr_frags>= MAX_SKB_FRAGS in order
> >> to pass it to that function.
> >>
> > Yes, the idea is to define NETBK_MAX_SKB_FRAGS to some bigger number
> > (say 20) to accommodate the possible maximum number of frags in
> > frontend. The thing that truly matters it the skb->len, which should be
> > <64K, nr_frags is not important.
>
> I doubt this would work since you can not build out skb with nr_frags >=
> MAX_SKB_FRAGS. See following code in skbuff.h,
>
> #if (65536/PAGE_SIZE + 1) < 16
> #define MAX_SKB_FRAGS 16UL
> #else
> #define MAX_SKB_FRAGS (65536/PAGE_SIZE + 1)
> #endif
>
> and every skb contains MAX_SKB_FRAGS frags,
>
> struct skb_shared_info {
> skb_frag_t      frags[MAX_SKB_FRAGS];
> }

So I haven't gone this far to trigger this. :-(

I just double checked with printk, nr_frags has not exceeded backend
MAX_SBK_FRAGS even if I have frontend MAX_SKB_FRAGS = 25.

> Coalescing frags before building skb could avoid this issue.

"before building skb" is a bit vague to me. Is it netbk_count_request?
Is it xen_netbk_fill_frags? If it is the latter, we are already too late
to fix this. If it is the former, we don't even start copying.

Wei