Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] CCing MAINTAINERS on patches by default?

On Tue, 2013-03-12 at 17:07 +0000, Tim Deegan wrote:
> At 17:00 +0000 on 12 Mar (1363107618), Ian Campbell wrote:
> > With the numbers of patches flying around it can be a bit hard for a
> > maintainer to spot patches which (s)he is expected to comment on / deal
> > with, especially now that we have a larger number of maintainers of
> > varying subsystems etc.
> >
> > I think it might be time to start asking patch submitters to CC the
> > maintainers of the code they are touching, based on the MAINTAINERS
> > file.
> >
> > If people (specifically maintainers) agree with this change then we can
> > start by updating the "Submitting Patches" docs on the wiki etc and
> > gently start requesting submitters to add the CCs.
>
> Fine by me; I usually work from my xen-devel inbox but I don't object to
> being Cc'd directly.
>
> Can we provide git/hg runes to add Cc:s automatically?

In git you just add "Cc: Someone <someone@exmaple@com>" in your commit
next to the S-o-b and git send email does the right thing. AFAIK hg
doesn't do anything similar.

Going further we could import Linux's ./sciprts/get_maintainer.pl (which
takes a patch, parses MAINTAINERS and outputs the result). Unfortunately
the Linux default is to also look at S-o-b and git blame, so it has a
tendency to spam everyone who ever went anywhere near the file. We don't
have enoguh subsystems/MAINTAINERS that I think this is a huge
requirement -- we could leave it for now and see how we get on IMHO

Ian.