Re: [Xen-devel] Time Skewing on Windows XP

> wrote:
>> > I finally traced the issue back to the patch that this first happened.
> This
>> > bug started in the patch :
>> >
>> > H86/HVM: assorted RTC emulation adjustment (w/ git commit id
>> > 620d5dad54008e40798c4a0c4322aef274c36fa3)
>> >
>> > I believe there are some issues with the changes in rtc_ioport_read in the
>> > arch/x86/hvm/rtc.c and in the pt_update_irq().
>>
>> One thing you may want to try is remove the call from REG_C
>> read to rtc_timer_update() again - on a second thought it may
>> be wrong to do it here, as (other than check_update_timer()
>> and alarm_timer_update()) the function doesn't change with
>> RTC_PF getting cleared (i.e. I may have wrongly added the call
>> in analogy to the other two).
>
> The call is needed because of the new code in rtc_periodic_interrupt()
> that disables the timer if a second passes with no RTC_C read to clear
> the RTC_PF flag.

Ah, right, of course. You see that it was many months back that I
wrote that code.

So we could filter on this periodic timer not currently being active
(which ought to be better than your calling into
create_periodic_time() with just the time delta adjusted).

> I suspect that getting rid of that (i.e. going back to running the timer
> all the time if the guest asks for interrupts) will fix it.

But would get us back into the not spec conforming way of working...

Jan