Re: [Xen-devel] Testing xen-arm on Arndale

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Sengul Thomas wrote:
> I somehow end-up running "xl list" in dom0 and it gives the following results:
>
> ÂÂÂ root@localhost:/root/make_test# xl list
> ÂÂÂ NameÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ IDÂÂ Mem VCPUsÂÂÂ StateÂÂÂ
> Time(s)
> ÂÂÂ (null)ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 0ÂÂ 256ÂÂÂÂ 1ÂÂÂÂ r-----ÂÂÂ
> 8071.1
>
> Looks like the root file system in the above link is just fine :-)
> Just have to enable all xen-related features while building linux (e.g.,
> xen-driver-support and
> xen-network-device-frontend-driver).
>

> Now I am going to run DomU and have a question regarding the following wiki
> (DomU kernel and DTS section):
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions
>
> (Question) In the configuration file, there is a line:
> ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ kernel = "/root/kernel"
> I think this one is pointing to some kernel image used for booting and how
> can I build this image? (for instance, can I use the
> same kernel source for dom0?)

Right, in fact that section of the wiki says:

"where the kernel is actually a Linux zImage with an appended
xenvm-4.2.dtb."

In order to build /root/kernel, you just need to build a Linux tree v3.7
or greater, build the dtbs, then:

cat arch/arm/boot/zImage arch/arm/boot/dts/xenvm-4.2.dtb > kernel

> Also, is there a helpful wiki link that describes manually building domU
> image?

Not really, I could create one I guess.
Right now I am using a simple script to create a domU filesystem from
busybox and other libraries in dom0 on the fly:

#!/bin/bash

mount -t tmpfs tmpfs /mnt
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/file bs=4096 count=2048
losetup /dev/loop0 /mnt/file
mkfs.ext2 /dev/loop0
mount /dev/loop0 /mnt2
mkdir -p /mnt2/proc
mkdir -p /mnt2/sys
mkdir -p /mnt2/bin
mkdir -p /mnt2/sbin
mkdir -p /mnt2/lib
mkdir -p /mnt2/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
cp -r /bin/busybox /mnt2/bin
cp -r /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 /mnt2/lib
cp -r /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc* /mnt2/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
cp -r /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/ld-* /mnt2/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
#cp /root/network-script /mnt2
#cp -r /sbin/dhcpcd3 /mnt2/sbin/dhcpcd
cd /mnt2/bin
ln -s busybox sh