Re: [Xen-devel] LVTPC masking in Intel VPMU code

On 03/29/2013 08:39 AM, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
----- haitao.shan@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi, Jan,

This is a pretty old code. :) I did not copy or borrow the oprofile
and perf code at all. Thus, I am not aware of the quirk. (Actually, I
don't know what quirk you mean).
For Xen's PMI handler, I just unmask the source and deliver a virtual
one. Here in this code, I see I unmasked the physical one and mask the
virtual LVTPC.
The reason I am asking is because I am trying to factor out common code
from VMX and SVM into VPMU code. AMD code doesn't have this and I can run
on Intel (at least on the HW that I have) without these two lines as well.

But more importantly I am not sure I understand why this is needed.

Can you tell me more about the oprofile/perf background?
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.8.5/arch/x86/oprofile/op_model_ppro.c#L143
and
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.8.5/arch/x86/oprofile/op_model_p4.c#L660

After poking around in the SDM I can now see the reason for unmasking
physical APIC --- apparently performance counter interrupt sets the mask
bit in appropriate LVT entry. This is different from AMD behavior, where the
mask bit is not updated.

vlapic update is not technically necessary, except for faithful emulation of
Intel HW.

Seems to me that comments in Linux code (and similar comments in Xen
code)  are somewhat misleading --- this is not a HW quirk but rather the
architectural behavior.

(My earlier assertion that these two lines were not necessary on Intel wasn't
correct: I was testing with perf and perf re-arms the counter by writing
control MSR, which triggers LVT update in core2_vpmu_do_wrmsr(). Oprofile
doesn't appear to re-arm and without unmasking the entry it doesn't work
on Intel)

-boris

-boris

Shan Haitao