Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Proposed libxl USB hot-plug interface

On 03/04/13 16:46, Ian Jackson wrote:
George Dunlap writes ("RFC: Proposed libxl USB hot-plug interface"):
OK, based on the feedback, what about an interface like the following?
This looks plausible.

The idea would be that long-term, AUTO would always do PV for PV VMs,
and would somehow decide whether to do HVM or PV for HVM domains.
Right.

The "type" and the "union" fields are designed to allow the interface to
be extended to include other types of devices, such as adding emulated
tablets, mice, keyboards, usb sticks, &c.
Right.

"list" should return all available USB devices including the "handle"
that can be used to remove a device.
struct libxl_device_usb {
      uint16_t protocol; /* AUTO, PV, HVM */
      uint16_t type; /* HOST; later can be emulated devices like tablet,
disk, &c */
      uint32_t backend_domain_id; /* For PVUSB */
I don't see why the backend domain is necessarily invalid for hvm
domains.  In the stub-dm, you're going to have both an emulated
interface (at the guest-dm interface) and a PV one (at the dm-backend
interface).  (Not that this will necessarily be implemented right
away!)

Hmm -- I hadn't thought of using qemu-usb in a stubdom. But in any case, I think the comment is still valid -- the backend_domain_id is being used for the PVUSB part of the "connection". (And if an HVM domain has a usbfront drivers, it can of course use this field as well.)

      uint64_t handle;  /* OUT: Unique (per domain) handle that must be
used to remove a device */
I'm not sure mixing in and out parameters in the single struct is a
good idea.

Well it's particularly interesting I think to have it here for the "usb-list" function (in which case the entire structure is written by the library). We could I suppose have usb-add just put it in the return value instead of modifying the structure in-place.
      int
      union {
          struct {
              int hostbus, hostaddr, vendorid, productid;
          } host;
This needs some more documentation.  Why is it a union ?  What are its
other options, etc. ?

This was just meant to be a brief description to talk about -- definitely not the final version. :-)

Initially this would be a union because I had envisioned something like this:

union {
    struct { blah blah } host;
    struct { blah blah } wacom-tablet;
    struct { blah blah blah } disk;
};

Then it's the same functions to add/remove/list an emulated tablet, or an emulated USB disk.

I guess you can set the values to -1 to mean "wildcard" ?

or LIBXL_USB_DEVICE_HOST_ANY, which is #defined to -1. :-)

 -George