Re: [Xen-devel] [xen-unstable test] 17595: tolerable FAIL

>>> On 09.04.13 at 11:58, xen.org <ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> flight 17595 xen-unstable real [real]
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~xensrcts/logs/17595/
>
> Failures :-/ but no regressions.
>
> Tests which are failing intermittently (not blocking):
>  test-amd64-amd64-xl-sedf-pin  7 debian-install              fail pass in
> 17594

Ian,

with Keir's agreement I put in a debugging patch that I hope will
help spotting why the mites once in a while experience a platform
timer wrap followed by a hang.

In order for the added code to be fully utilized, you would need
to add "log_time=<big number>" to *-mite's hypervisor options,
with <big number> being large enough to cover the longest time
tests would run (including an eventual timeout). To be on the
safe side, 0x7fffffff could be used (as the maximum sensible
value).

Of course, this is going to mildly spam the logs on those systems
(output resulting from platform timer overflow handling and timer
calibration code).

Without any option added, some debugging code would
nevertheless be active, and there is a chance that even in this
mode the problem could be caught earlier and in a more explicit
way. But with it happening relatively rarely, I'd prefer the full
functionality to be enabled from the beginning.

George,

could you put on your 4.3 release requirements list the need to
revert this debugging patch (commit bd9be94), so that in the
event that I forget about it we have a way of being reminded
collectively?

Thanks, Jan