Re: [Xen-devel] about the VM's memory distribution on numa nodes

On ven, 2013-04-12 at 21:32 +0800, butian huang wrote:
> helloïDario

Hi,

> How to know about the virtual machine's memory distribution?
> That is,The virtual machine's memory may be distributed on multiple nodes,how
> to get the VM's memory information in distributed node?

Ok, from where, exactly, you want to know that? From host? From guest?
At what level (hypervisor, toolstack, user space program running in
host/guest)?

I have to admit that, in no one of the cases I tried to enumerate, we
have a good method in place to gather that information, but answering
(and, of course, implementing one) differs a lot in the various cases...

Right now, in the host, if you send Xen the 'u' debug key, and then
check the console, you'll see just that. It can be achieved with
something like this:

# xen debug-key u
# xen dmesg | tail

I really think we must make it easier to retrieve this kind of
information, and I'll be up to make that happen ASAP. :-)

> And How to move the VM's remote memory to the affinity node and guarantee to
> access the local memory?

That is something very difficult. I am working on it, and I released an
RFC, with the basic architecture of the solution I'd like to have
implemented in the coming months. It is here:

http://markmail.org/thread/m3d6f7m3iius6dad

Have a look, and feel free to comment! :-P

Regards,
Dario