Re: [Xen-devel] [XenARM] [Xen-API] [Proposal] Additional mailing lists for specific purposes

On 23/04/2013 12:24, Tim Deegan wrote:
At 08:42 +0100 on 23 Apr (1366706522), Ian Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 17:42 +0100, Lars Kurth wrote:
On new lists, we will need lists for
       * xenproject-marketing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ... maybe
         xenproject-publicity@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx hits it better than
         marketing (seems to work for debian)
For things which are xenproject wide and not related to a specific
subproject I think omitting the prefix is the way to go, so marketing@,
publicity@ etc, the xenproject bit is in the domain and repeating it
makes everything sound clumsy.
+1.  So, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xapi-devel@, &c for project
lists, but publicity@, announce@ without prefixes.
That sounds reasonable

       * I need something for votes and discussions that cut accross
         sub-project and teams. Maybe
         xenproject-proposals@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
         xenproject-decisionmaking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx? Just putting
         these into the room: none of these sound right to me. Maybe
         xenproject-leadership@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is better?
What would this new list be used for?  The sort of thing that's currently
cross-posted to the various developer lists?  Unless that list is
automatically maintained as the union of all the dev list members, it
seems like it will just make the process less transparent (since people
who join xen-devel@ won't know to join governance@ too and so will be
left out).

vote@, committers@ and/or maintainers@ ?
I don't think there's much use for separate committer/maintainer lists:
anything the committers or maintainers want to discuss in public can
just happen on the developer lists.  There won't be very much of it.
True. The "problem" is that today everything related to governance that cuts across projects has to be posted on xen-devel, xen-api, .... (4 Iists, but in future there may be more). I had a few individuals who approached me in the past complaining about the spam that was caused when the same mail is posted on several lists. If you feel that this is in fact no issue, then I can keep on posting cross-project questions, votes, etc. to all projects and we do not need a separate list and the matter is settled.

There may still be a case for an alias (not alist) that includes maintainers, committers and project leads of all projects to discuss sensitive issues off-record. The kind of items this could be occasionally used for is for questions such as "XYZ requested an invite to a Hackathon - is this person engaged enough to get an invite?", we also ocassionally had situations where a maintainer wanted some advice on how to handle a patch/deal with friction/etc. What happened in these cases was that e-mails amongst some members of the community were sent around (or a Citrix alias was used, or a conversation in the kitchen happened). That is something that I feel is problematic in the future, but will happen if there is no easy way to get to all stake-holders.

Lars

In the past these type of discussions happened

Regards
Lars