Re: [Xen-devel] Bare-metal Xen on ARM boot

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 10:39 +0100, Sander Bogaert wrote:

> I was wondering if there is any documentation on how to write a bare
> metal application for Xen. I don't need to parse the device tree and
> such yet, a simple booting "Hello World" would be fine :-)

> We wrote one and when trying to boot we get ( this was an uncompressed
> binary, no image):

> libxl: notice: libxl_numa.c:451:libxl__get_numa_candidate: NUMA placement
> failed, performance might be affected
> xc: error: panic: xc_dom_core.c:587: xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found:
> Invalid kernel
> libxl: error: libxl_dom.c:380:libxl__build_pv: xc_dom_parse_image failed: No
> such file or directory
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:908:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot (re-)build
> domain: -3

Are you trying to load test.elf or test.bin?

A test.bin would need to have a Linux zImage header on the front to be
loaded successfully.
http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/SWLINUX/files/booting_article.html#d0e309
or it may be easier to look at either xen/arch/arm/arm32/head.S or
linux/arch/arm/kernel/head.S

I honestly don't recall if the userspace domain build supports ELF files
-- it should be obvious from the "xl -vvv create" logging if it is at
least trying (would be useful to see that more verbose logging BTW)

Ian.