Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM, Tim Deegan <tim@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 11:34 -0400 on 03 Apr (1364988853), Andres Lagar-Cavilla wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 2013, at 6:53 AM, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>> > My sense, when I looked at this back whenever that there was much more to
>> > this.  The XP IRQL updating is a problem, but it's made terribly worse by
>> > the changset in question.  It seemed to me like the kind of thing that
>> > would be caused by TLB or caches suddenly becoming much less effective.
>>
>> The commit in question does not add p2m mutations, so it doesn't nuke the
>> NPT/EPT TLBs. It introduces a spin lock in the hot path and that is the
>> problem. Later in the 4.2 cycle we changed the common case to use an rwlock.
>> Does the same perf degradation occur with tip of 4.2?
>>

> Yes, 4.2 is definitely slower.  A compile test on a 4-vcpu VM that takes
> about 12 minutes before this locking change takes more than 20 minutes
> on the current tip of xen-unstable (I gave up at 22 minutes and rebooted
> to test something else).

Tim,

Can you go into a bit more detail about what you complied on what kind of OS?

I just managed to actually find a c/s from which I could build the
tools (git 914e61c), and then compared that with just rebuilding xen
on accused changeset (6b719c3).

The VM was a Debian Wheezy VM, stock kernel (3.2), PVHVM mode, 1G of
RAM, 4 vcpus, LVM-backed 8G disk.

Host is an AMD Barcelona (I think), 8 cores, 4G RAM.

The test was "make -C xen clean && make -j 6 XEN_TARGET_ARCH=x86_64 xen".

Time was measured on the "test controller" machine -- i.e., my dev
box, which is not running Xen.  (This means there's some potential for
timing variance with ssh and the network, but no potential for timing
variance due to virtual time issues.)

"Good" (c/s 914e61c):
334.92
312.22
311.21
311.71
315.87

"Bad" (c/s 6b719c3)
326.50
295.77
288.50
296.43
276.66

In the "Good" run I had a vnc display going, whereas in the "bad" run
I didn't; that could account for the speed-up.  But so far it
contradicts the idea of a systematic problem in c/s 6b719c3.

I'm going to try some other combinations as well...

 -George