Re: [Xen-devel] libvirt, libxl and QDISKs

On 26/04/13 05:50, Jim Fehlig wrote:
Jim Fehlig wrote:
Ian Campbell wrote:

On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 14:22 +0100, Dave Scott wrote:

On 25/04/13 13:43, Ian Campbell wrote:

It looks like we could define a "qdisk" driverName.

Yes, I think this would work. WRT to your comment below it looks like
other libvirt drivers call this driver "qemu".

IMO, we should just extend the above to map driverName 'qemu' to backend
'qdisk'.  But what about the formats?  I though qdisk could handle all
of them, particularly with qemu-upstream, even vmdk?

Something like the attached, which seems to work well for me when
specifying driverName = qemu, e.g.

     <disk type='file' device='disk'>
       <driver name='qemu'/>
       <source file='/var/lib/xen/images/sles11sp2-pv/disk0.raw'/>
       <target dev='xvda' bus='xen'/>
     </disk>

This also works for me!

On a related note, what do you think about the attached patch? It allows the user to select a non-default qemu via the <emulator> element. My domain XML looked like this:

  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386</emulator>
    <disk device="disk" type="network">
      <driver name='qemu'/>
      <source protocol="rbd" name="rbd:rbd/ubuntu1204.img"/>
      <target dev="hda"/>
    </disk>
    <graphics type="vnc" port="-1" autoport="yes" listen="0.0.0.0"/>
  </devices>

Now that upstream qemu is the default in xen-4.3, it seems useful to be able to select the traditional qemu for older VMs.

Also I backported this to my xen-4.2 system and used this patch + your patch + the previous 'stat()' fix to successfully start a VM on ceph storage via libvirt + libxl (my quest is almost complete!)

Cheers,
Dave