Re: [Xen-devel] S3 is broken again in xen-unstable

On 04/29/2013 03:00 PM, Ben Guthro wrote:
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:03 AM, George Dunlap
<George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2013-04-25 at 18:02 +0100, Ben Guthro wrote:
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Ben Guthro <ben@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since this is something that XenClient really relies on working, it
has been a pain point with every upgrade of Xen for us.
It is enormously time consuming to debug on every upgrade, and has a
long tail in discovering problems (I started debugging S3 last Aug on
xen-unstable, prior to 4.2 being cut)

How can we work with the community to try to get some sort of
regression testing for this feature that we rely on in our product?

I am still interested in ideas for getting this into automated
testing, and any ideas people may have for this.

CCing Ian Jackson who runs the test infrastructure.

Contributing new tests is now less onerous than it once was (i.e. it
might even possible at all). There is some info at
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-10/msg01517.html
although the branch may be out of date -- Ian was working on merging the
standalone branch at one point.

Some questions:
       * How automatable is s3?
       * In particular can we automate the wakeup? s3 is save to RAM
         IIRC, and most power control in the test system is done with PDU
         power cycling.
       * Would s3 ever be expected to work on the sorts of whitebox
         server systems which form the osstest pool or do we need to
         investigate additional hardware?
       * How hardware specific are the s3 failures -- we obviously can't
         have one of every laptop ever ;-)

When I discussed this with Ben before, it seemed that almost any
testing would be a very large improvement.  Namely, it seemed to me
that even if the test just did a "null suspend" -- i.e., shut the
entire system down as though about to do a suspend but then just
resume without pulling the trigger -- would shake out a lot of bugs
(as well as make it very easy for devs that don't normally care about
suspending their machine to fix things).  Having an RTC wake-up would
be the next thing to do after that.

  -George

FWIW, the patch that implements this "fake s3" functionality is
implemented here, should it be considered for inclusion:
http://markmail.org/message/ghj2ffngemccq6p4

[Adding xen-devel back in to the cc]

FYI playing around with this is on my to-do list, but it will probably be until after the 4.3 release.

 -George