Re: [Xen-devel] guest crash in wrmsr_hypervisor_regs if hypercall page is paged out

>>> On 02.05.13 at 16:43, Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, Tim Deegan wrote:
>
>> At 20:19 +0200 on 30 Apr (1367353157), Olaf Hering wrote:
>> >
>> > With current xen-unstable I see this guest crash if the gfn 169ff is
>> > paged out. The xenpaging -v output shows that 169ff is populated, but
>> > appearently wrmsr_hypervisor_regs does not like the resulting mfn?!
>>
>> Looks that way:
>>
>> > (XEN) HVM10: Allocated Xen hypercall page at 169ff000
>> > (XEN) traps.c:654:d10 Bad GMFN 169ff (MFN 3e900000000) to MSR 40000000
>>
>> That MFN looks like garbage, so I'm guessing that 'page' was null, i.e.
>> get_page_from_gfn() returned NULL.  I guess you'll need to instrument it
>> up to figure out why.  At least the GFN is a predictable constant which
>> should make it easier to add debugging printout for just this case.
>
> The GMFN has p2m_t p2m_ram_paged, so the mfn is -1.
>
> Its not clear to me, how should wrmsr_hypervisor_regs handle a paged
> gfn? I was under the impression that get_page_from_gfn would wait until
> the gfn is paged-in again.

We can't put a vCPU to sleep at arbitrary points yet, which means
that right now the caller of the function is responsible for the
wait-and-retry - normally that would be in hypercall handlers, but
obviously you need this here too.

Jan