Re: [Xen-devel] [XenARM] GPU sharing with Xen

On Tue, 7 May 2013, wasa bee wrote:
> Hi
>
> is it possible to share the GPU between VMs with Xen? I am interested in
> mobile devices (e.g. android)
> both ARM/x86. Is there something already available? Under way? If not, what
> is the best way to go?
>
> I have come across this:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-02/msg01064.html
> Is it still relevant?
>
> is this the right list to send my inquiry? Or shall I send it xen-devel
> instead?

For questions like this one it is probably best to send it to both
xen-arm and xen-devel.

>From the upstream Xen point of view, nothing is available out of the
box, however a PV framebuffer frontend driver exists in Linux
(drivers/video/xen-fbfront.c) and a corresponding backend in QEMU
(hw/xenfb.c): it should be relatively easy to make them work on ARM.
They would allow you to export a framebuffer to each guest and render
them in dom0 using QEMU.

In the past people also managed to export OpenGL to guest VMs, but none
of the code went upstream:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMGL
http://www.diku.dk/~jacobg/gfx/

You would need to resurrect that code, port it over to new versions of
Xen and Linux and upstream it yourself.