Re: [Xen-devel] v3.9 - CPU hotplug and microcode earlier loading hits a mutex deadlock (x86_cpu_hotplug_driver_mutex)

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 04:29:49PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 10:03:42AM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>
> [ â snip some funky BIOS code ]
>
> > [here it shifts and continues on testing each CPU bit]
> >
> > > Questions over questions...?
> >
> > I probably went overboard with my answers :-)
>
> Konrad, you're killing me! :-) You actually went and looked at the
> BIOS disassembly voluntarily. You must be insane, I think you should
> immediately go to the doctor now for a thorough checkup. :-)
>
> I think I know who I can sling BIOS issues now to.

Great .. :-)

> > > Looks like save_mc_for_early would need another, local mutex to fix that.
> >
> > Let me try that. Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Ok, seriously now: yeah, this was just an idea, it should at least get
> the nesting out of the way.
>
> About the BIOS deal: you're probably staring at some BIOS out there
> but is this the way that it is actually going to be implemented on
> the physical hotplug BIOS? I mean, I've only heard rumors about IVB
> supporting physical hotplug but do you even have access to such BIOS to
> verify?

Unfortunatly not. I am getting an IvyTown box so hopefully that has this
support. But I thought that Fenghua did since he mentioned in the patch.

Besides that I think this can also appear on VMWare if one is doing
CPU hotplug and on some HP machines - let me CC the relevant people
extracted from drivers/acpi/processor_driver.c.
(see  https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/5/7/588 for the thread)

Rafael, do you know of any specific Intel hardware that has this implemented?