[Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

This information will be mirrored on the Xen 4.3 Roadmap wiki page:
 http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Roadmap/4.3

Please start reporting bugs.  Additionally, there are a number of bugs
listed which do not have owners -- please take a look to see if there
are any you can work on, and let me know that you are planning on
doing so.

The key goals we're focusing on now, in order, are as follows:
 1. Have a bug-free 4.3 release
 2. Have an awesome 4.3 release
 3. Have a 4.3 release that happens on schedule (ready by June 15th)

The most important thing in making a case is to answer the question,
"If there are bugs in this patch, will they be discovered before the
June 15h release?"  The second most important thing is to consider the
cost/benefit analysis of bugs that are found: what is the risk of
introducing a bug which will delay the release, vs the benefit it will
have in making the release better?

Please begin to test and report bugs against the release.

= Timeline =

We are planning on a 9-month release cycle.  Based on that, below are
our estimated dates:
* Feature freeze: 25 March 2013
* Code freezing point: 15 April 2013
* First RC: 6 May 2013 <== WE ARE HERE
* Release: 17 June 2013

The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
will therefore be fairly unpredictable.  Each new feature will be
considered on a case-by-case basis.

Last updated: 10 May 2013

== Completed ==

* Default to QEMU upstream (partial)
 - pci pass-thru (external)
 - enable dirtybit tracking during migration (external)
 - xl cd-{insert,eject} (external)

* openvswitch toostack integration
  To label "tech-preview" unless we get good testing (>10 individuals)

* NUMA scheduler affinity

* Install into /usr/local by default
  owner: Ian Campbell

* Persistent grants for blk (external)
 - Linux
 - qemu

* Allow XSM to override IS_PRIV checks in the hypervisor

* vTPM updates

* Scalability: 16TiB of RAM

* CPUID-based idle (don't rely on ACPI info f/ dom0)

* Serial console improvements
  -EHCI debug port

== Bugs fixed since last update ==

* xl, compat mode, and older kernels

* cannot free const libxl_event

* qemu-upstream: cd-insert and cd-eject not working

* Guests which use VCPUOP_register_vcpu_info fail to shut down cleanly

== Bugs ==

* Windows 2003 fails to install in Xen-unstable tip
  > Narrowed down to c/s 2fe82ac11fd078485388fe7c5e8bc3b6ac9185b0
  owner: Jan Beulich
  status: Patches posted

* AMD NPT performance regression after c/s 24770:7f79475d3de7
  > Main issue appears to be extra lock on the MMIO path
  > combined with no vlapic support for AMD hardware
  > and WinXP pounding the TPR.

  owner: ?
  Reference: http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=135075376805215
  status: lapic fast-path patch posted, helps a bit
   gplpv drivers with /patchtpr help significantly

* Race condition in claim hypercall
  owner: Ian Jackson, Konrad Wilk
  status: patches posted

* Revert Jan's debugging patch (commit bd9be94)
  owner: Jan Beulich
  status: Few instances collected; removal late in release cycle

* docs: xl cd-insert accepts "filename", but docs say "type:filename" in help
  owner: George

* Update 4.3-rc to 4.3 in README; add tag bragging about 4.3
  owner: George

* XSA-46 regression in PV pass-through?
  owner: ?

* xl cd-insert doesn't fail on a missing file

* Seabios compile failure (iasl fix?)
  owner: IanC (?)
  status:

* No changeset reported when using git
  owner: Marek (?)
  status: patches posted

* qemu-traditional: build on gcc 2.17

* Scan through qemu-upstream changesets looking for important fixes
(particularly for stubdoms) for qemu-traditional

* mac address changes on reboot if not specified in config file

* qxl not actually working
  > qxl apparently not enabled during compile by default
  > Appear to be some other bugs even when it is working:
  >   http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-11/msg00713.html
  owner: ? (Anthony was going to take a look)
  We need to either fix both of these problems or disable qxl for 4.3