Re: [Xen-devel] New Xen boot infrastructure proposal

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 01:43:08PM +0100, David Vrabel wrote:
> On 21/05/13 11:36, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Here are my thoughts about current Xen boot
> > infrastructure and some changes proposal.
> > It is linked with EFI development but not only.
> >
> > [...] It means
> > that at this stage it is worth to create completely new
> > boot structure which is not linked so tightly with any boot
> > protocol. It should contain all needed stuff, be architecture
> > independent as much as possible and easily extensible.
>
> It's not clear how a new set of structures like this fits the
> requirement to be easily extensible.  Aren't you going to have the same
> problems if new fields need to be added?

No, because it would not be linked with any boot protocol.
It will depend only on our idea because it will be Xen
internal structure.

> I would suggest considering a linear block of (type, length, data)
> tuples for each field.  That way only the needed/applicable fields can
> be included, and Xen can easily skip over field it does not recognize or
> care about (so new fields can be added without breaking compatibility).

Right, but then you must prepare function(s) which will be looking
for required data. I think that, in that case, all needed stuff should
be easily accessible just by referencing relevant member in struct.

Daniel