Re: [Xen-devel] New Xen boot infrastructure proposal

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 04:10:17PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > For example it will be very difficult to
> > pass (in sensible way), from preloader to Xen, info about ACPI and EFI
> > stuff.
>
> Why do you think this is going to be "very difficult"? It's a list of
> elements (very much like the enumerated concept I had thought
> of [without having looked at grub2 yet at that point; now I have]
> and that you had asked back about. All we'd need to do is iterate
> over the array of blocks and stash away the information we care
> about (into existing variables where possible, and into newly
> created ones otherwise).

I though more about taste (that is why I added remark: in sensible way)
than about implementation which is of course quiet simple. We could
solve the problem of passing info for which place does not exists
in MBI at least in three ways:
  - create next global variable which is awful for me (or use
    if it exists but is awful too),
  - pass this multiboot2 stuff almost directly (in real it must
    be copied to safe place; in multiboot protocol case required
    stuff is copied to trampoline); you mentioned about that in
    other email; better but not nice for me,
  - preloader should extract all needed stuff from structures
    passed by multiboot or multiboot2 protocol and put it in
    boot protocol independent struct which is then passed to
    __start_xen(); best for me; I described why in other emails.

Daniel