Re: [Xen-devel] [Hackathon minutes] PV frontends/backends and NUMA machines

On mar, 2013-05-21 at 13:10 +0200, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> Regarding #2 and #3, here they are the old patches (and other material)
> that I've been able to find so far on the subject.
>
> For HVM, the patches are originally from Andre (and I think they are the
> ones Matt is going to refresh and try to upstream):
>  - July 2008:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-07/msg00582.html
>  - February 2010:
> http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-02/msg00279.html
>
> For PV, the patches are originally from Dulloor Rao, they come with a
> lot of policing and cover a lot o stuff that are upstream now, but there
> perhaps still are some useful bits:
>  - April 2010:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg00103.html
>  - August 2010:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-08/msg00008.html

Ok, sounds like I was misremembering. I've looked more thoroughly at the
various threads and at the patches that come with them and it turned out
that Dulloor's Aug 2010 series is about NUMA for HVM guests as well.
That is to say:

For HVM guest NUMA, here's what we have had:
 - July 2008, from Andre:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-07/msg00582.html
 - February 2010, from Andre:
http://old-list-archives.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-02/msg00279.html
 - August 2010, from Dulloor:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-08/msg00008.html

For PV guest NUMA, here's what we have had:
 - April 2010, from Dulloor:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg00103.html
 - February 2010, from Dulloor:
http://old-list-archives.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-02/msg00630.html
 - from Dulloor (implementing some kind of NUMA aware ballooning):
   http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/txtHhAq92jBSc.txt

Also, still for PV NUMA, this message (and of course the thread it comes
from) has some arguments about what are the advantages or disadvantages
of a couple of different interfaces, and I think it could be
interesting: http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2010-04/msg00761.html

> The work on PV-NUMA appears to have been presented at a XenSummit,
> together by Dulloor and Jun from Intel, and there hence are slides and a
> video available:
>  http://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/dulloor-xensummit#btnNext
>  http://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/nakajima-numafinal
>  http://vimeo.com/12295753

These, of course, are still valid.

So, whoever will get on to doing work on either PV or HVM NUMA, I think
it is well worthwhile to look at the threads and at the patches (the
Linux patches are there too). The code is not perfect and, as I already
said, there is a lot of overlap with stuff that are in right now, but
still, it probably is a better starting point than nothing! :-P

I'll "mirror" all this information on my NUMA roadmap Wiki page
(http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_NUMA_Roadmap), just to be even more sure
that we don't loose track of it.

Regards,
Dario