Re: [Xen-devel] I want to add a Xen driver and it doesn't look completely trivial given the current driver architecture - any advice?

hi Ian and Konrad,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not being clear on what I want. I want to work on  a CPU/RAM/PCI diagram tool in Xen, which will help in debugging kernel,hypervisor problems to understand the bus topology of a server. Tool will create a layout diagram for a server automatically using data from ACPI/SM-Bios tables, lspci oputput etc. It will either run on a Live system or offline using captured data to produce a graphical representation of the hardware device locations,memory bank locations etc. There are other benefits like labelling relevant hardware errata, performing bus throughput calculations.

I think hwloc will be good for this requirement.in the code base, there is a "linux driver" which uses /sys/acpi/$FOO to discover the CPU topology.

A good first task might be to write a "Xen driver" which can work out it is on Xen and use the topology hypercalls to gain the same information.

So trying and geting hwloc working under Xen will solve this purpose. Can you please guide me here?

-PankajCabs

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 03:37:39PM +0530, Pankaj Biswas wrote:
> hi Team,
>
> Can you help me here. because the Xen driver is not mutually exclusive with
> their Linux driver,
>
> because I think the ability to detect Xen depends on it first finding that
> it is running on Linux.

I have no idea what you are saying here. Could you be more specific please?