Re: [Xen-devel] [Bug] PVUSB, Ubuntu 12.04, Xen 4.1.2

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Erwan PILLET
<erwan.pillet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I installed xen from packages on Ubuntu 12.04, getting the version 4.1.2 .
> I wanted to use pvusb which I understand was functional on this version to
> pass an USB hard drive to my DomU, but I only manage to get this error
> trying to attach the device to a domain.
>
> It may also be worth mentionning that "xm usb-hc-destroy mydomu 0" doesn't
> have any effect, so it doesn't give back any error (I get one if I try on an
> unregistered devId) but don't remove the host controller.
>
> So should pvusb be fonctionnal on this version of xen/xm ? If yes, any help
> would be highly appreciated.

PVUSB requires support both from the toolstack and from the dom0
kernel.  I believe PVUSB is only available in "classic Xen" kernels
such as those supported by SuSE; I'm pretty sure that Ubuntu does not
have one.

To see if usbback is present, you can do the following:

ls /sys/bus/usb/drivers/usbback

If it gives you an error, then the problem is that your Ubuntu dom0
kernel doesn't have PVUSB support.

 -George