[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Xen-devel] [PATCH 0/4] XSA-52..54 follow-up

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>> On 04.06.13 at 12:47, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 06/04/2013 11:45 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>>>>> On 04.06.13 at 12:09, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>> On 06/04/2013 11:00 AM, Keir Fraser wrote:
>>>>> On 04/06/2013 08:58, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>>>> The first patch really isn't as much of a follow-up than what triggered
>>>>>> the security issues to be noticed in the first place.
>>>>>> 1: x86: preserve FPU selectors for 32-bit guest code
>>>>>> 2: x86: fix XCR0 handling
>>>>>> 3: x86/xsave: adjust state management
>>>>>> 4: x86/fxsave: bring in line with recent xsave adjustments
>>>>>> The first two I would see as candidates for 4.3 (as well as
>>>>>> subsequent backporting, albeit I realize that especially the first
>>>>>> one is non-trivial), while the third is code improvement only,
>>>>>> and the fourth is really just cleanup, and hence I'd be fine with
>>>>>> deferring them until after 4.3.
>>>>>> Signed-off-by: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx>
>>>>> I like the patches, 1 & 2 are good bug fixes.
>>>>> Acked-by: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
>>>>> Patch #1 is quite scary though! I wonder really whether these long-lived
>>>>> issues must be fixed right now, let alone backported?
>>>> Yeah, I was going to say, with all this tricky code going in, including
>>>> this one, and the XSA-55 (?) one that seems to have tons of tricky
>>>> changes, whether it might not be a good idea to make sure we have at
>>>> least 2 weeks of testing and another test day -- or, delay the test day
>>>> Wednesday until we can get all of these in.
>>> Agreed, but I don't know what implications delaying a Test Day
>>> would have. We certainly don't want to release in a rush with all
>>> these new fixes.
>>>> Jan, looking at the comments, it seems like 3 and 4 are more about
>>>> performance than correctness?  I think those should probably wait until
>>>> the 4.4 dev window opens up.
>>> Yes, as I also said in the overview description above. The question
>>> is really just about the first two to go in right away.
>> These seem pretty clearly like things we need to have fixed in the
>> release -- they're the kind of thing that is likely to have potentially
>> nasty, hard-to-track-down side effects.
> So together with Ben's most recent reply - do I read the above as
> an ack for 4.3?

Yes; the two bug fixes, re the release:

Acked-by: George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Xen-devel mailing list



Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.