Re: [Xen-devel] Creating a magic page for PV mem_access

>> communications).
>>>
>>> You are right. I didn't realize magic pages are writable by the guest.
>>> So this is not a good option.
>
> BTW, are the HVM special pages (access, paging, sharing) accessible by the
> guest kernel?

Aravindh,
I am responsible for this mess, so I'll add some information here.

Yes the guest kernel can see these pages. Because of the way the e820 is laid
out, the guest kernel should never venture in there, but nothing prevents a
cunning/mischievous guest from doing so.

Importantly, the pages are not populated by the builder or BIOS. If you look at
the in-tree tools (xenpaging, xen-access), the pages are populated, mapped, and
removed from the physmap in a compact yet non-atomic sequence. In this manner,
the pages are no longer available to the guest by the end of that sequence, and
will be automatically garbage collected once the ring-consuming dom0 tool dies.
There is a window of opportunity for the guest to screw things, and the
recommendation is to carry out the above sequence with the domain paused, to
make it atomic guest-wise.

I discussed this with Stefano at a Hackathon about a year ago, briefly. The
consensus was that the "true" solution is to create a new (set of)
XENMAPSPACE_* variants for the xen add to physmap calls.

>>> I am trying to mimic what is being done in the HVM side for mem_event
>>> pages. In setup_guest() (xc_hvm_build_x86.c), I see "special pages"
>>> being created for console, paging, access and sharing ring pages. Then
>>> xc_set_hvm_param() is used to inform the hypervisor. When a
>> mem_event
>>> / mem_access client comes up, it uses xc_get_hvm_param() to get the
>>> pfn and maps it in. I want to do something similar for PV.
>>
>> Yep.  I think it might be better to invent up a new interface for those
>> pages,
>> rather than using domain memory for them.  We can then deprecate the old
>> HVM-specific params interface.
>
> Are you saying that these pages (access, sharing, paging) should live in Dom0
> instead of the domain's memory and only be created when a mem_event listener
> is active? Or am I completely off track?

And here is why the mess exists in the first place. Originally, these pages
were allocated by the dom0 tool itself, and passed down to Xen, which would map
them by resolving the user-space vaddr of the dom0 tool to the mfn. This had
the horrible property of letting the hypervisor corrupt random dom0 memory if
the tool crashed and the page got reused, or even if the page got migrated by
the Linux kernel.

A kernel driver in dom0 would have also solved the problem, but now you are
involving the burden of the entire set of dom0 versions out there.

Hope this helps
Andres