[Xen-devel] Compiling Xen from source

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Joshua Tuttle <jtuttle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:41:35 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:42:21 +0000

Hey,

I am new to both Xen and development in general and am running into some issues when trying to compile and install from source.

I have already been able to get Xen installed and working using apt-get, but since I want to be able to edit the source code, this will not

Be an option for install.

The first thing I noticed that was quite a bit different from installing from the package manager, was the difference in entries shown in grub.

When I installed Xen using apt-get, all I had was one entry for Xen in grub, which I would use this command to have it be default.

“dpkg-divert –divert /etc/grub.d/08_linux_xen –rename /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen”

Now when installing from source, there are several entries, where only a couple of them will actually work.

After Xen is installed, I typically run the “xl info” command to ensure its running. However, when I try to run it after being compiled from source, I

Get this error:

“libxl: error: libxl.c:87: libxl_ctx_alloc: Is Xenstore daemon running?

Failed to stat /var/run/xenstored.pid

No such file or directory

Cannot init xl content”

I checked and that directory does not exist, but was able to start Xen manually by running xencommons in /etc/init.d

The problem with manually starting it though, is that it causes my terminal to quit echoing my input.

What do I need to do to resolve this error, and get Xen to automatically start?

Thanks for any help!

Josh

This message and all attachments are PRIVATE, and contain information that is PROPRIETARY to Intelligent Automation, Inc. You are not authorized to transmit or otherwise disclose this message or any attachments to any third party whatsoever without the express written consent of Intelligent Automation, Inc. If you received this message in error or you are not willing to view this message or any attachments on a confidential basis, please immediately delete this email and any attachments and notify Intelligent Automation, Inc.