Re: [Xen-devel] Help on getting serial output on the arndale board

(adding xen-devel and Julien back)
On Tue, 2013-06-18 at 13:53 +0200, Birin Sanchez wrote:
> > Do you have a dtuart=<something> in your Xen bootargs (in the dtb)?
> >
> > This is mentioned in
> > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARMv7_with_Virtualization_Extensions
> > but not
> > http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARMv7_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Arndale
> >
> > If you are using the dts from Julien's Linux tree it should have this
> > already, so maybe this is a red herring but I'd have expected the logs
> > to contain
> >          "Looking for UART console %s\n", devalias);
> > from dt_uart_init() and they don't.
>
> Yes. arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5250-arndale.dts contains this:
>
> chosen {
>                  bootargs = "dom0_mem=256M sync_console console=dtuart
> dtuart=serial0";
>                  xen,dom0-bootargs = "console=hvc0,115200n8 debug
> root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 ignore_loglevel rw rootwait earlyprintk=xen";
>                  modules {
>                          module@0 {
>                                  compatible = "xen,linux-zimage",
> "xen,multiboot-module";
>                                  reg = <0x60000000 0x400000>;
>                          };
>                  };
>          };
>
> and serial0 is an alias:
>
> serial0 = "/serial@12C20000";
>
> I guess that's OK.

IFAIK, yes.

> > I find that the build system is not great at picking up changes to the
> > DTB, I habitually rm xen/arch/arm/dtb.o before rebuilding Xen.
>
> I did 'make distclean' every time before compiling again. Checking the
> date on dtb.o shows same date as the generated xen-uImage.

OK, so it isn't that then.

> I will compile against every change in
> arch/arm/boot/dts/exynos5250-arndale.dts to see if I can find what made
> it stop working.

It's worth a try, you could bisect rather than trying everyone though.

> Also I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 13.04 could this be the issue?

If this was just the userspace then I doubt it, the problem is long
before userspace gets involved.