Re: [Xen-devel] vBAR=pBAR - Dynamically Generating DSDT?

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 12:52:21 +0100, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-07-03 at 12:42 +0100, Gordan Bobic wrote:
 On Wed, 03 Jul 2013 07:33:56 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
 <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the 2009 era patches for vBAR=pBAR and
>> the more recent maintained version at davidgis.fr,
>> and it would appear that the BAR spaces get hard-coded.
>>
>> Is there a reason why this cannot be dynamically
>> generated at domU start time? I could write a
>> wrapper easily enough to doctor this every time
>> I need to start a VM that generates a patch for
>> the relevant devices and recompiles hvmloader,
>> but this is quite a horrible way to do this.
>
> Could it be done via Xen Store?  hvmloader is already capable of
> reading values from there.  Perhaps add a new attribute there?  In
> local/domain/0/vpci/<domain>/pbar-<bdf>?

 Considering xenstore seems to be deprecated for
 storing domU configs in favour of plain text files

Uhm, what?

domU configs have never been stored in xenstore.

Really? I was under the impression that this was where
libvirt put them, because after configuring an xm domU
using virt-manager/libvirt I could not find where
the domU configuration was stored. I tried grepping
the entire FS for things I thought should appear in
the file, but maybe I searched for the wrong thing.

xenstore is a runtime service used for communicating configuration
information between different bits of the system and serving as a
rendevous point for different parts of the system (e.g. front and
backends, toolstack and hvmloader, toolstack and itself).

 (Windows registry, anyone?), I'm weary of going
 down the route of anything touching the xenstore.
 If it's still going to be hard-coded, I'd rather
 having it in the domU config file.

...from where it should be written to xenstore when creating the domain
in order to communicate to hvmloader where things should go.

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Gordan