Re: [Xen-devel] kernel panic in skb_copy_bits

On 07/01/13 16:11, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 11:18 +0800, Joe Jin wrote:
>>> A workaround is to turn off O_DIRECT use by Xen as that ensures
>>> the pages are copied. Xen 4.3 does this by default.
>>>
>>> I believe fixes for this are in 4.3 and 4.2.2 if using the
>>> qemu upstream DM. Note these aren't real fixes, just a workaround
>>> of a kernel bug.
>>
>> The guest is pvm, and disk model is xvbd, guest config file as below:
>
> Do you know which disk backend? The workaround Alex refers to went into
> qdisk but I think blkback could still suffer from a variant of the
> retransmit issue if you run it over iSCSI.
>
>>> To fix on a local build of xen you will need something like this:
>>> https://github.com/abligh/qemu-upstream-4.2-testing/commit/9a97c011e1a682eed9bc7195a25349eaf23ff3f9
>>> and something like this (NB: obviously insert your own git
>>> repo and commit numbers)
>>> https://github.com/abligh/xen/commit/f5c344afac96ced8b980b9659fb3e81c4a0db5ca
>>>

>> I think this only for pvhvm/hvm?
>
> No, the underlying issue affects any PV device which is run over a
> network protocol (NFS, iSCSI etc). In effect a delayed retransmit can
> cross over the deayed ack and cause I/O to be completed while
> retransmits are pending, such as is described in
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-nfs/msg34913.html (the original NFS
> variant). The problem is that because Xen PV drivers often unmap the
> page on I/O completion you get a crash (page fault) on the retransmit.

Can we do it by remember grant page refcount when mapping, and when unmap
check if page refcount as same as mapping?  This change will limited in
xen-blkback.

Another way is add new page flag like PG_send, when sendpage() be called,
set the bit, when page be put, clear the bit. Then xen-blkback can wait
on the pagequeue.

Thanks,
Joe

--
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Joe Jin | Software Development Senior Manager | +8610.6106.5624