Re: [Xen-devel] Is my Intel HD Graphics 4600 Xen VGA Passthrough to Windows 8 Enterprise HVM domU Considered Successful?

On 19/07/2013 19:02, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:56:24 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 19/07/2013 18:42, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:27:07 +0800, "Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

My Windows 8 Enterprise HVM domU configuration is as follows. I have
to *disable* gfx_passthru, that is, gfx_passthru=0. Please take note.

[...]

So is my Intel HD Graphics 4600 Xen VGA passthrough to Windows 8
Enterprise HVM domU considered successful?

If it works, it's successful.

I cannot enable gfx_passthru, that is, gfx_passthru=1. If I enable
gfx_passthru, Windows 8 Enterprise HVM domU would start for a few
seconds, then the LCD monitor would go into power save mode (blank
screen) *forever*.

Please advise me on how I can get VGA passthrough to work with
gfx_passthru=1.

Can you elaborate why exactly do you need to have that GPU passed
through as primary? Primary GPU passthrough has always been
problematic because domU has to re-post the card's BIOS which
has always been problematic.

The only difference in the general case is that with gfx_passthru=1
you get to see the POST and boot information on the monitor
connected to the GPU. With gfx_passthry=0 you can only see this
in the VNC session connected to the virtual primary VGA card. In
the vast majority of cases seeing the POST and boot animation
isn't useful enough to be worth bothering with.

I have a working setup with 2x Quadro cards, each passed through
as secondary (gfx_passthru=0) to different domUs, with separate
mice/keyboards passed through to each domU (multi-seat gaming
rig), and that works lovely (only limitation being 2GB of RAM
for each domU until I get around to upgrading to 4.3).

Unless you have a very compelling reason to use gfx_passthru=1
I suggest you don't bother even trying.

Gordan

Dear Gordan,

I want to use the monitor connected to Intel HD Graphics 4600
directly. I don't want to use a VNC session to connect to the Windows
8 Enterprise HVM domU.

Thank you very much.

You only need VNC for the POST. Once Windows boots up you should be
be able to get all your display output on the physical screen.
Disable the virtual VGA interface in device manager if you have
to - I've found that is sometimes necessary to get the physical
GPU working properly.

Gordan

Dear Gordan,

How do I disable the virtual display adapter in Windows 8 Enterprise HVM domU? I see nothing on the physical screen at all.

Thank you very much.

--
Yours sincerely,

Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)