[Xen-devel] blktap3 upstreaming halted

We decided not to upstream blktap3 into Xen because there isn't much value in
it in the long run:
QEMU is quite sufficient for Xen and blktap3 is necessary for XenServer in the
short run only; we'd like to use QEMU in XenServer, too.

I'll leave the blktap3 version that works for Xen in Bitbucket
(https://bitbucket.org/tmakatos/blktap3-patches) in case anyone wants to
experiment. Blktap3 development for XenServer will continue on a blktap2.5
branch on github.

Regarding concerns about QEMU's VHD performance, we're evaluating the
possibility of porting blktap2.5's VHD implementation to QEMU (the same applies
for VHDx).

Thanks

--
Thanos Makatos