Re: [Xen-devel] Building Xen 4.2.2 w/EFI on Ubuntu Server 12.04.2

Kevin,

I do not know if you got EFI working, but I am successfully botting
Xen under EFI; however, I ended up patching the dom0 kernel in order
to get it all working.  The patches, which were mostly a rebase of an
earlier patchset, are available here:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-05/msg02492.html

You will find it straightforward to update the patch for Linux 3.10.
I believe CONFIG_EFI has to be set in the config.

I continue to use these patches to boot a Linux 3.10.1 dom0 under EFI
Xen, which is started by the rEFInd boot manager.  The patches have
the added benefit in that you can generate a single Linux kernel which
can boot either standalone under EFI or under Xen booting under EFI.
The only shortcoming I have observed with my setup is that dom0
shutdown will shut down the computer, but a dom0 reboot does not get
the underlying hardware to reboot - instead it must be power cycled.

Although the above patches definitely work for me, I no longer recall
if dom0 MUST have such patches to work under EFI booting of Xen.  For
example, even when booting under EFI, Xen might provide enough of a
BIOS-boot-like environment that a vanilla kernel can successfully find
and configure the system hardware.  I think I ended up going down this
path because of (1) successful handof of the EFI console to dom0,
and/or (2) I am running on a Mac, which is very finicky and quirky for
booting up non-OS X operating systems.

Best of luck,
Eric

> Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 21:37:46 +0100
> From: Kelvin Middleton <kelvin.middleton@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: Kristian Hagsted Rasmussen <kristian@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>         Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Building Xen 4.2.2 w/EFI on Ubuntu Server 12.04.2
>
> Hi Jan, Hi Kristian, thanks for the feedback & help.
>
> For EFI_VENDOR I've now corrected my build step to be "make install-xen
> EFI_VENDOR=EFI/ubuntu EFI_MOUNTPOINT=/boot/" and this puts all the files
> where they should be.
>
> The .cfg file I think you'll say is a school-boy error....I was using the
> debug EFI shell that Virtualbox provides to create the .cfg file.  Turns
> out this is just wrong as I recreated the file once in ubuntu bash and Xen
> attempted to load the Dom0 kernel image.
>
> I'm now getting Xen boot kernel screen output but I have a new problem
> which is a kernel panic and a hang, progress though so I'm pretty happy.
>
> Kernel Panic is...
>
> do_device_not_available

> Panic on CPU 0:
> Xen BUG at traps.c: 3393
>
> Some googling on this error seems to point to the FPU setup (don't really
> know what this is) http://copilotco.com/mail-archives/xen.2008/msg14478.html
> ??
>
> On 15 July 2013 16:57, Kristian Hagsted Rasmussen <kristian@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

generic ignore_loglevel