Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG REPORT] My Xen 4.3-unstable Changeset 26666 Installation is Broken!

On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 14:58 +0200, Dietmar Hahn wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 31 Juli 2013, 13:47:27 schrieb Ian Campbell:
>
> > On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 14:42 +0200, Dietmar Hahn wrote:
>
> > > Does this really work now without removing all the currently
> installed
>
> > > xen stuff from the machine?
>

> > As well as it ever did for install to the same prefix, yes.
>

> > > In the 4.3RC... phase I got a mixture and it didn't work because
> not
>
> > > all tools, commands, ... supported the --prefix flag right.
>

> > Those would be bugs, please report them.
>

> I already did a hint:
>

> http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-06/msg01719.html

That hint was obviously too subtle to me.

From what you wrote above it sounded like you had specific issues with
specific tools not understanding prefix properly.

But that link looks more like fallout from changing prefix and a request
to consider using rpath which seems to have nothing to do with whether
you need to remove stuff.

Just to clarify:

If you change Xen's installation prefix, either explicitly or by picking
up the change in default between 4.2 and 4.3 then you *do* need to clean
out any old Xen bits before doing the install in order to avoid
confusion and breakage.

If you do not change prefix, either because you are moving between
versions upto and including 4.2, or because you are moving between 4.3
and 4.4-unstable or because you are overriding the default to be
compatible with the previous version then you usually do not need to
clear out things, although doing so obviously cannot hurt.

Ian.