Re: [Xen-devel] build for pv-grub stubdom

I've put the list back on the CC, plerase use reply to all.
On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 21:46 +0800, IAN DELANEY wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:05:24 +0100
> Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Adding the list back, please don't drop CCs.
> >

> > I think these are all the ones which Samuel indicated were simply not
> > supported by mini-os. We must not end up linking these files or else
> > there would be a link time error.
> >
> > >  * Please do not file a Gentoo bug and instead report the above QA
> > >  * issues directly to the upstream developers of this software.
> >
> > Hrm. I would rather hope that bugs would be reported to the Gentoo
> > maintainer who would take responsiblity with the upstream relationship
> > rather than pushing it onto the end users who may not be in a position
> > to make a good report about an issue seen with an ebuild.
> >
> > Or maybe I misunderstand how Gentoo QA is structured and/or where/who
> > this suggestion is actually reported to.
> >
> > Ian.
> >

> Well gentoo QA is pretty 'low level' in this regard or instance. For 1
> I am the xen gentoo maintainer and it was me who observed and sent it,
> however your point remains valid in essence.  The portage package
> itself basically has a ready made list of various known gcc, build,
> test, install errors and actions them accordingly.  Some errors will
> have the msg prompting to report to gentoo bugzilla.  These ones have
> been determined to warrant pointing to upstream directly.  The point is
> somewhat moot since it's me bringing it to yr attention.

OK, that's fine. I was mostly concerned about a clueless but
enthusiastic user picking them up and sending them here with no context
or understanding or ability answer followup questions, which mostly jsut
wastes everyone's time.

> "We must not end up linking these files or else there would be a link
> time error" I have some trouble with from its technical aspect rather
> than a linguistic one.  It's not clear to me whether this is an
> observation of what's happening in the build process or, well,
> something else.  Either way many thanks for picking up on the issue(s).

Right, By "must not" I meant "we aren't in practice".

Ian.