Re: [Xen-devel] xen/tip.git and how it should function?

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > > With two maintainers, this should be easy enough - each maintainer can
> > > put his or her
> > > patches in their local tree (or some git tree). Create a
> > > 'stable/for-linus-3.12' and
> > > do a git merge on his or her local tree, and push said
> > > 'stable/for-linus-3.12' up
> > > to the tip tree.
> >
> > It might be worth giving an heads up to each others, at least before
> > pull requests to Linus.
> >

> The other thing is that we could name them differently. Say:
>
>       stable/for-linus-3.12.generic (for drivers/xen)
>       stable/for-linux-3.12.x86     (arch/x86/xen...)
>       stable/for-linux-3.12.arm
>
> and then there are just three GIT PULLs during the merge window?

I think it's best if we only have one pull request. Regardless of the
number of pull requests certainly we need only one linux-next branch.
Therefore if we go for tree branches, eventually they need to be merged
into a single tree anyway. The three branches strategy might work well
for internal coordination between us though:

- we work independently on our own branches as usual

- when we are ready we give an heads up to the others and we merge into
the single tree and linux-next (could the single tree be linux-next?)

- one of us send the pull request when ready, syncing with the others
first