Re: [Xen-devel] Xen pciback not working: "address space collision: [mem ...] conflicts with System RAM [mem ...]"

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 01:55:16PM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:02:03AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 12:32 +0200, Andrea Brugiolo wrote:
> > > Good Morning
> > >
> > > I cannot do pciback anymore for both my second scsi controller and my
> > > second network card: when I try to pass the device to the domU I get
> > > this error in system logs:
> > >
> > >   ... address space collision: [mem ...] conflicts with System RAM [mem
> > > ...]
> >
> > By eliding the actually addresses you've omitted something which I think
> > might be interesting:
> >         [mem 0xf9e00000-0xf9e1ffff 64bit] conflicts with System RAM [mem
> > 0x00100000-0x4007fffff]
> >
> > Note that there is not any actual overlap in those two sets of addresses...
>
> I think it is:
> mem 0xf9e00000-0xf9e1ffff
> mem 0x00100000-0x4007fffff
>
> The RAM region is pretty much all of the memory. This looks like the
> 'e820_hole'
> parameter is not being used? (It only works for xl btw).
>

> > Might be that the check is truncating something, or maybe it is
> > confusing MFN and PFN and so getting a false +ve. Both wild guesses
> > having not even looked at the code...
> >
> > > The problem is described here:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=717353 and is
> > > blocking my backup system which is based on a scsi tape changer
> > > attached to the domU.
> >
> > What do the guest and host e820 map look like? Actually the full dmesg
> > for the hypervisor, dom0 and domU kernels would be useful to provide, I
> > expect.
>
> And the guest config pls.

At last I have managed to reboot the system. Please find the attachments:

 - dom0 dmesg
 - domU dmesg
 - domU configuration

Recall:

 - dom0 is Debian GNU/Linux 7.1 with Debian kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64 (3.2.46-1)
 - domU is Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.7 with the same kernel

The "address space collision" shows up for both the devices I am
trying to pass as I have been doing for years.

Thank you

Andrea