Re: [Xen-devel] stdbool.h -nostdinc XSA-55 trouble

On 08/08/2013 18:26, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 05:12:51PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> (adding Ian J who did most of XSA-55)
>>> Yes - I think our emails crossed...
>>>
>>> The underlying problem is:
>>>
>>> Linux:   /usr/lib/gcc/i?86-linux-gnu/n.m/include/stdbool.h
>>> NetBSD:  /usr/include/stdbool.h
>> The hypervisor side, which is where --nostdinc is used, has it's own
>> bool_t in asm/types.h. Perhaps libelf (which is supposed to compile for
>> both user and hypervisor space) should be using
>> #ifdef __XEN__
>> #include <asm/types.h>
>> #else
>> #include <stdbool.h>
>> #endif
>>
>> ?
>>
>> I'd be a bit concerned about the fact that Xen's bool_t is a typedef for
>> char, as opposed to the compilers typedef to _Bool which has special
>> meaning. It may not matter in practice but might the fact that _Bool
>> canonicalises to 0 or 1 vs. 0 or !0 cause something subtle?
> AFAIK
>
> char c=0;
> !c == 1 (true) (rather than 0xff or ~c or whatever - but this is without
>                 a "malicious compiler")
>
> so at a glance, this seems OK. (But then I don't know the original
> motivation for replacing bools in XSA-55...)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

XSA-55 ended up fighting against the C specification.

Under C, the act of creating an invalid pointer is itself undefined.
Therefore, taking a base address and adding an offset is possibly
undefined, depending on whether the offset lives within the malloc()'d
space or not.  As a result, the range check can be optimised away,
because if it can be proved to be correct, it will always pass, and if
it is isn't the undefined behaviour rules can allow it to also be true.

This means that an aggressive optimising compiler can (and, I am
informed, does) optimise away range checks, resulting in code which
reads as secure, but compiles as insecure.

The changes for XSA-55 resulted in exercising as many guarantees from
the C standard as much, and working around the rest.  As you might
notice from some of the larger patches, structure access (on untrusted
structures) is reimplemented as macros and unions, so as to be
guaranteed to not be optimised away, even by the most aggressive compilers.

~Andrew