Re: [Xen-devel] OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC

On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 15:24 +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:16:41AM -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> > > How is Xen PV driver fit in this? Xen PV doesn't have virtual PCI bus.
> >

> My limited knowledge of Virtio is pretty dated now, that's why I raised
> that question. ;-)
>
> > One could implement an PCI over XenBus I suppose. Or just write an
> > XenBus PCI driver that would do all the neccessary things to respond
> > to the proper commands.
> > >

> Back in the date my impression was that XenBus is asynchronuous while
> virtual PCI is synchronuous (i.e. trap-process-return), they are not
> quite compatible.
>
> Furtuer more using XenBus is mainly used for configuration, while Virtio
> over PCI supports both configuration and sending notifications etc.
>
> I'm not sure XenBus PCI driver would be a good idea...

I thought this part of virtio was pluggable and that PCI was one option
(although for a long time the only one). On ARM you can also use
virt_mmio instead these days. A shared ring for cfg + evtchn model for
notification doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

A far bigger problem IMHO with virtio is that it basically discards the
Xen security model. I don't know how hard it will be to retrofit gnttab
based access control into the virtio protocols. A lot would be my
guess...

Ian.