Re: [Xen-devel] Xen PVUSB work

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:11:37AM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:

>    There are two things that need work, actually:
>
>    * Linux kernel side of the PVUSB.
>
>    There is a PVUSB implimentation in SuSE's "classic Xen" kernel that some
>    people have been able to use, but there are reports that it can be a bit
>    flaky.  There is no PVUSB kernel support in mainline Linux.  There was an
>    initial port some time ago (Konrad can point you to the tree), but it
>    needs to be rebased, fixed, and upstreamed.  If you have the time and
>    inclination, this is probably the most critical part to getting PVUSB
>    working for 4.4, as it's something the rest of us definitely don't have
>    time to do.

Konrad can confirm, but I think it's this:
devel/xen-usb.v1.1 in
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git

>    * The toolstack side
>
>    Near the end of 4.3 we were developing a general interface for adding host
>    USB devices.  The interface was designed to be able to support either HVM
>    or PV guests.  It didn't make it in on time, but it's close to being done,
>    and I fully expect that I can get it in for 4.4.  The patch series I was
>    working on would have implemented only HVM guests, it should be fairly
>    easy to extend for PV guests.
>
>    I probably won't have time to work on it for about a month or so; if the
>    kernel side isn't your cup of tea, you'd be welcome to pick up that patch
>    series and try to get it in shape for submission, then add the necessary
>    PV bits.

Just to add something.. PVUSB supported can be implemented for both pure PV
domUs
and HVM guests (HVM guest with PV drivers).

So if you're running an HVM guest you can choose to do the "qemu USB emulation"
passthru,
or PVUSB passthru, assuming your HVM guest has the needed PVUSB frontend driver
(such as GPLPV for Windows, or the Linux PVUSB usbfront).

-- Pasi