Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update

On 19/08/13 13:08, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 12:38:16PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
* However, blktap is unmaintained.  Unless someone steps up to add
the functionality (which is not recommended as it would probably te
a waste of effort), it will continue to require a modprobe. On newer
systems, without blktap, the modprobe will be harmless.  So for
blktap, the modprobe will have to remain for the forseeable future.

What I've been wondering.. XenServer is shipping with and using blktap,
so there must be someone maintaining blktap at Citrix?
I also understand blktap is on the way out and will be replaced with qdisc in
the future..

As I understand it, XenServer is using a private fork of blktap2, with significant changes. Since blktap2 as a whole can't be upstreamed into the mainline kernel, I think the feeling was that there wasn't any point in trying to upstream the local changes to the "classic" kernel. Blktap3 was meant to be the mainline-friendly version of blktap, but as you say, work on it has halted and the plan at the moment, I'm told is to look into qdisk, since it uses a similar technology, but gives access to work from other communities as well (Ceph, for example).

Thanos, correct me if I've made a mistake somewhere...

 -George