Re: [Xen-devel] xen: arm: beginning the removal of mode_switch.S

On 08/21/2013 02:36 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
On 08/20/2013 03:11 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
So this is all pretty complex (not to mention hard to describe in ASCII)
and in lockstep, the secondary cpus wait twice once on the original
smp_cpu_up and then again on the relocated version. There is a subtle
reliance on the 1:1 mapping being retained in the original copy of the
page tables.

Thanks for this ASCII!

I think the original wait is actually a workaround for lack of firmware
on the fastmodels, and should be implemented by either the firmware or
bootwrapper.

BTW, this wait is an issue when the boot CPU ID is not equal to 0.

I gave a quick try to move kick cpus after the HYP mode switch in
assembly and I'm unable to boot secondary cpus on the Versatile Express.
I guess, on the VE secondary cpus can only be "kick" in secure mode.

Right, but I think this is not specific to the VE, but ARM in general.
If I remember correctly the reason was that you cannot send IPIs from an non-secure GIC CPU interface to a secure one. So you have to enable the CPU interfaces of the others cores for non-secure operation first, which involves waking them up. In my U-Boot code I switch to HYP mode on the BSP at the very end, after having switched the secondary cores to HYP before.

Regards,
Andre.