Re: [Xen-devel] Regression: x86/mm: new _PTE_SWP_SOFT_DIRTY bit conflicts with existing use

Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi all, I worked on patch which would not touch PSE bit for dirty page
> tracking and the result is not that good:
>
>  - 2level pages now always page dirty if page is swapped in and out, because
>    there is no space left in PTE (other than PSE bit)

Maybe just don't support soft dirty for 2 level page tables?

2 level page tables should be really on the way out anyways, as they
have severe limits and do not support NX. With 3 levels there is enough
space.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only