Re: [Xen-devel] Regression: x86/mm: new _PTE_SWP_SOFT_DIRTY bit conflicts with existing use

>>> On 21.08.13 at 18:19, Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 05:03:13PM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> >
>> > Only to non-present ptes, as far as I know.
>>
>> That's not really any guarantee. And the accessor functions also
>> don't check that they'd be used on non-present PTEs only.
>
> Wait. This _PAGE_SWP_SOFT_DIRTY bit (which is in real PSE bit) assigned
> in only one place -- in try_to_unmap_one(). The PTE get non-present then
> and consists of swap entry format. I don't see any accessor to such entry
> without testing if it's swap entry or pte-none. What I'm missing?

Fact is that this

static inline pte_t pte_swp_mksoft_dirty(pte_t pte)
{
        return pte_set_flags(pte, _PAGE_SWP_SOFT_DIRTY);
}

has no checking whatsoever that the PTE being modified is a
non-present one, not even in any of the debugging modes. It
would be a different thing if the above acted on a swp_entry_t.

The fact that there currently may be just a single call site (where
the caller guarantees the non-present state) is no guarantee that
in the future another one won't appear, and then result in very
hard to debug problems.

Jan